Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Okay, so I have made many goals for myself and my family for the new year which I am really determined to stay with. However, one is of the utmost importance to me. A couple months ago when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (for whatever reason), it was a serious wake up call to me. After being so overweight for so many years, it is finally starting to affect my health. That's a scary place to be when I am about to be 38 years old. In addition to this, I would like to have one more baby and have decided it would not be healthy for me or the baby to get pregnant at my current weight or with my current health issues.

In the past, I have found being held accountable for my actions was a good motivator to stay on track, so I am using my blog to do just that. Each month I am going to post weight loss or gain (better be loss though!) and what is going right or wrong. Any feedback is accepted and appreciated each month whether it is a good month or bad month.

At the current time I am well over 200lbs. (I don't have the guts to post my actual weight, but you get the picture). My plan is to: work out at least 30 mins three times a week for the next 6 weeks and then increase it from there. My longer term goals are 35lbs down by the 4th of July and to run a 5k on the 3rd of July. I want/need to be down a total of at least 50lbs by September 2010. That is 8 1/2 months away so I feel like it is an obtainable goal.

I have realized that if I don't do something about this now, it will only get harder the older I get and more health problems will arise.

So there ya go. Its all out in the open now. I really pray I can do it this time, not just for a month or two, but for a lifetime. I want my daughters to remember a mom who was active and healthy and learn healthy habits as a result. I don't want them to suffer with their weight the way I have most of my life. If I can give them that gift, I will never want for anything more!

6 comments:

AllisonK said...

I would love to make some serious changes as well. I appreciate your blog post!

thehogans5 said...

Thanks Allison!!

Unknown said...

If you need a partner for the 5K let me know. :) I'd like to do one sometime.

Nicole said...

It was so good to hear those words and I need to do the same. It is so important to show our kids too You are not alone and watching you will encourage me and then hopefully Jimmy. Good Luck you will do great.

Jay and Rochelle said...

Good luck! You may just inspire me. I have a hard time multi-tasking where I have let my weight get to me as well. Exercise I have down now if I can just get a chef to cook for me... Life would be heaven!

Now...A Family of Four said...

Amy, I am so impressed by your courage and humility! You are an inspiration. I'll be cheering you on from Texas!
xoxo,
Tina