Wednesday, September 14, 2011

New baby arriving

I sit here at three in the morning unable to sleep deciding its time to update the blog.  I don't sleep much lately being nine months pregnant and all.  Too uncomfortable, have to go to the bathroom every two hours and my mind racing with things to be done before the little one arrives.  It brings me back to how very stressful and anxious I have been during this pregnancy and how excited I am to be bringing a new life into this world.
Back up nine months ago.  Craig mentioned we needed to have one more baby.  I was already feeling a little overwhelmed with the three girls we have and felt like I would be okay if we were done.  Craig felt like we weren't and said if I wasn't sure I should pray about it.  Well, I knew what the answer would be if I prayed and that scared me.  But having faith, we jumped into this.  I really didn't think I would get pregnant fast so I wasn't too concerned.  I was pretty sure it would take awhile and by then it would be okay if we only had three. I knew someone was missing in our family, but was very unsure if I would be able to handle another child or be able to financially support one more. I think Heavenly Father knew I had the potential of backing out if things become too stressful, so we become pregnant very quickly.  Looking back, that was a blessing but I felt a little overwhelmed as I looked at the positive pregnancy test.
The pregnancy started off a little shaky as well.  I spotted off and on throughout most of my first trimester.  I was sure that I was going to miscarry this baby so I didn't allow myself to become too excited.  However, as we passed the 13 week mark, I relaxed a little bit more.  I still spotted occasionally, but felt that things might just be okay.  The down side was I was so much sicker with this baby than the others that it was hard to be excited about vomiting everyday.
As the all day sickness began to improve, although it never did totally go away, I began to relax more only to have my quad screen blood test come back abnormal.  I had had this experience before with Meg, but this time the baby had a 25% chance of having Trisomy 18.  What that means is that the baby would not be compatible with life.  I tried not to be too worried, but couldn't help but think how this would change things if it were correct.  After one stressful ultrasound, we found out that not only was our baby healthy, but that we would be adding a boy to our family . While Craig and the girls were so excited, I was immediately nervous over the prospect of raising a boy. I know nothing save it be a few memories of a little brother growing up about raising a boy.
As this pregnancy wore on, I developed gestational diabetes.  I had this condition with Meg as well so I knew what to expect.  I also knew that this brings a whole new level of complications to an already high risk pregnancy due to my age.  Because of this, I have had the opportunity to go into the doctor every week for a nonstress test, which is actually pretty stressful for me since this baby doesn't like to cooperate when I'm on the monitor.  At this point, I just felt like, bring it on and we'll deal with it.
A few weeks ago, my blood pressure decided to start rising, again something that it has done with my last pregnancy as well.  However, it has never done it quite this early.  By last week, I was in the hospital contracting , which doctors don't really like when you are a repeat c-section, with an increasing blood pressure. I was very nervous that our little man would be coming a little too early.  We were blessed again that my pressures came down and I was able to go home on bedrest. 
Well, here we are and I am now 37 weeks which is considered full term.  The baby is scheduled to come next Tuesday but could come anytime this week if my condition changes at all.  I am now finally starting to get really excited about bringing him home, but still worry (because that is what I do) about all the things that could still go wrong. I am just trying to relax and give him a few more days to be ready to greet this crazy family he is being born into.  I feel blessed to be able to have this baby and add him to our what will now be a complete family.  I just need to make it a few more days and continue to pray that all goes well in the meantime.  Now, if I could just get a little more sleep before he comes, that would be a nice bonus.  I guess we'll see.

4 comments:

AllisonK said...

A new post!!! I haven't been here so long I've missed the new pictures. They are BEAUTIFUL!

Thinking of you right now! I'm scheduled for dinner soon, but if you need anything before call.

Jay and Rochelle said...

Yeah a boy! Sorry to hear about all of the complications... I can only imagine the stress. Hopefully once he arrives things will be much better. Wish you the best of luck and sending mental hugs and kisses your way!

Mindy said...

I'm sorry it has been such a hard pregnancy. Keep resting and he'll be here before you know it. Let me know if you need anything, i'm always here.

Nicole said...

Wow how exciting. Every mother needs a son. How wonderful to have him last. Your girls will be such good helpers. I hope all goes well and you get to enjoy your new addition soon.